Car Multimedia System
Upgrade Your Car Multimedia System for Better Interactivity
Perhaps you have noticed that we no longer evaluate a new car on its superior safety features or the overall power to weight ratio, but instead on the state of the infotainment system. This shift is due to high international standards, which we all now accept as the bare minimum for safety. However, infotainment features are not regulated and are totally at the manufacturer's discretion, which means that a bad review of the car multimedia system can totally sink a model.
There is also the other side: quality and well-maintained vehicles manufactured before onboard Wi-Fi and even Bluetooth became standard equipment. Replacing such a trusty ride just because the radio has only one USB port is not good economics, no matter how much you desire wireless integration with your smartphone.
Luckily it is now possible to upgrade the car multimedia player without losing the integration the original audio unit provides for accessing the electronic settings of the car.
The Different Options for a Car Multimedia Upgrade
The extent to which your infotainment system is to be upgraded depends on what is already installed and what is required to extend the keeping life of the car.
- Suppose your vehicle already has wired CarPlay available. In that case, the solution is simply a wireless CarPlay dongle that plugs into the USB port of the audio system, which then provides wireless connectivity with your phone. The only setup required is pairing your phone and the dongle, where CarPlay functionality will then be available.
- Suppose your car was made before CarPlay was standard or came with a proprietary application that is no longer maintained and thus is extremely insecure. In that case, an aftermarket unit can easily be installed by an auto-electrician. For cars with an old infotainment system, a new unit can be installed that either replaces most of the functionality of the OEM unit or inter-operates with it to provide full access via all console dials and steering wheel buttons.
- Wireless CarPlay kits can be as simplistic or as complex as you require, such as additionally providing inputs for various aftermarket cameras and sensors, as well as the necessary wireless control through your smartphone.
- You might also look into the availability of MirrorLink in the multimedia upgrade kit, as this provides an open-source and superior alternative to the proprietary connectivity software.
How to Install Wireless CarPlay Kits
Installation of the after-market kits can be undertaken by a qualified auto-electrician or a handy DIY owner. Few tools are necessary, and the kit provides detailed instructions on the procedure. There are also ample videos on the Internet that can be used to familiarise oneself with the installation tasks.
- All wireless upgrade kits are designed to work seamlessly with the stock multimedia console installed in modern vehicles and units from reputable manufacturers. This means that the installation will only require unplugging wires and plugging wires in according to the detailed instructions.
- The biggest issue will be removing the facia plates, usually those of the climate controls and other knobs and buttons. This is done to gain access to the multimedia unit, and a special tool is provided to prevent damage to the dashboard when the plates are popped out.
- Remember to follow the instructions, even if the reason is not clearly explained, and the installation will be quick and a success.
Now that your phone connects wirelessly to the infotainment unit, it is also not charging passively through the USB data cable that is no longer used. So do take a moment and also install a wireless charger compartment for your smartphone.
Our chargers are Qi-certified and custom-designed for the interior of various vehicle models. Note that should your smartphone not have integrated wireless charging, then the functionality can easily be added with a special accessory.
Order your auto multimedia kits from Euro Upgrades. We are an Australian company, and all our stock are kept at our warehouse in Western Australia. This means we offer a local warranty on all our products, handle all queries on the spot and dispatch orders within a day.
All vehicle upgrade products are tested using our extensive knowledge of the vehicles available in Australia. Contact us to discuss your specific requirements.